Thursday, May 30, 2019

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Sir,

I am not usually one to write letters of complaint but I feel I must protest at your coverage of Mayor Bennet’s inauguration of the new manhole cover in Froghill High Street (Observer, May 25). 

Your article gives the impression that his worship’s speech was largely unappreciated by the crowd. Let me assure you that I, for one, very much enjoyed the joke about declaring the manhole ‘open’ and was keen to repeat it to my friend Brian that same evening.

As a dedicated enthusiast, I have measured, photographed and catalogued every manhole cover in and around Froghill, as well as the majority of storm drain gratings. I therefore feel I am qualified to point out an omission, namely, that the new manhole cover is a Scandinavian model, the Centurion 650, manufactured by Great Drane of Denmark. This makes it unique in the local area – all existing covers are 450mm in diameter and domestically produced by Safe-T-Lid Engineering in Long Marston, Buckinghamshire.

I feel that this kind of background information is essential for your readers to properly appreciate and enjoy the latest addition to our town’s infrastructure.

I trust such sloppy journalism will not become a regular feature in what, until now, has always been a reliable and balanced newspaper.

Yours indignantly,

Colin Thrickett,

Cheetingham

No comments:

Post a Comment