Wednesday, March 20, 2019

EXPLOSION SHEDS LIGHT ON GHOST COW

Emergency services were called to Fanshawe House near Wythering, following an explosion and fire at around 4pm yesterday afternoon.

The blaze consumed much of the east wing and was only brought under control some two hours later. The owner of the house, 96-year-old Emily Fanshawe, widow of industrialist Simon, was found lying dazed on the back lawn. She was treated at the scene for shock, minor burns and splattering.

Interviewed in Froghill General, where she is being kept under observation, Ms. Fanshawe said: “It was the rats, you see.”

She continued: “I’ve been having terrible trouble with rats – they gnaw through the wires and interfere with the television reception. I’ve totally lost the plot of EastEnders.

“I didn’t want to use traps or anything inhumane, so I decided to dress up as the Pied Piper and lure them away. I made myself a tunic and a big, floppy hat and I dug out an old recorder from when Suzanne was at Bedales.

“I tried to pipe them across the Wythering Road and into the fields, but nothing happened. Absolutely nothing at all.”

A rodent carcass subsequently discovered in the house and examined at the Wythering Animal Rehabilitation Trust (WART), showed the animal to be a Patagonian Deaf Rat, a rare species born entirely without ears.

“After that failed, my next idea was to have my Bichon scare them away,” said Ms. Fanshawe. “Felicity’s only small, so I thought she needed to look a bit more imposing. Luckily, I found an old helium cylinder that Simon kept for blowing up balloons at the Summer Ball.

“I slipped the nozzle down Felicity’s throat and inflated her till she was about seven or eight times her usual size. I tied her to the back fence for safekeeping but she kept breaking loose and floating away. I’m terribly sorry for any bother she caused.”

After episodes involving a car crash, a strangled dachshund and a shattered window, Ms. Fanshaw realised that the oversize Felicity was no more successful than the Pied Piper.

“After the window incident, she was terribly upset and kept barking in that squeaky helium voice. So I got a tyre lever from the garage and pushed it down her throat to release all the gas, but I must have slipped or something because suddenly there was this almighty bang.

“The next thing I knew, I was lying flat out on the lawn, covered in offal and looking into the eyes of a fireman who was bending over me.

“He certainly was a well-built young fellow…..he picked me up with ease,” she added dreamily.

As in The Hound of the Baskervilles, recent events have proved to be stranger than they were spooky. Be that as it may, readers of the Observer can now sleep peacefully in their beds, safe in the knowledge that the ‘Ghost Cow’ will no longer haunt their dreams, their streets or their gardens.

Ms. Fanshawe will be discharged from hospital on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment